The role of the governors is to have a strong focus on the following core strategic functions: –
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Ensuring there is strategic plan for the school focusing on long term development and improvement;
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent;
- Support the Head Teacher and staff in the achievement of all this;
The day-to-day management of the school is the responsibility of the Head Teacher and senior leadership team.
There are four types of governors: –
- Local authority governors appointed by the Hackney Learning Trust;
- Parent Governors elected by the parent community;
- Co-opted Governors appointed by the governing body to provide a specific skill required by the school;
- Staff governors. One being the Head Teacher and the other being appointed by the staff of the school;
The length of terms for all Governors is four years. The Chair of the Governors and Vice Chair of Governors are appointed by the Governors on an Annual basis.
The full Governing Body meets once every term. The function of the Governing Body is supported by the following committees that meet once every half term.
The intention of committees is to allow joint working on areas that matter most to developing the school delivering our vision to ‘Discover Learning’. The Link Governor role enables Governors with relevant skills to partner with the appropriate members of the school to cover the area in the appropriate detail.
For all information regarding Betty Layward Primary School Governors, please see below:
If you would like to contact the Chair of Governors – please email him at the following address: email@example.com